Friday 22 December 2017

Parov Stellar at Alexandra Palace.

This concert at Aleaxandra Palace marked a new achievement for me. I finally went to a gig with my best mate Thibault. It was also only his second ever gig - the first being in church hall aged 15.So I am only the second person to get him out to a music gig.

The attraction was Parov Stellar, an exponent of electro-swing which the man likes. We had been to a very decent comedy gig the Friday night before and Thibault stayed over with his girlfriend. Just like old times when he was my lodger. But then despite being a Saturday we went our several ways. Clarissa ad studying to do, and afterlunch together Thibault and I both had work to do - him from my place while I needed tpo go into the office. But we regrouped to walk up to the Palace. I managed to persuade him to set off early enough that we actually could take up a plce at the front barrier. So not only his first proper gig but one he could see from the front.

Opening act was a German DJ, Mike Ringer. I have never much seen the point of these DJs, and this one was disappointing from a low base of expectation. I could tell Thibault was unimpressed.






But finally on came the main act. And thankfully this far outperformed my expectations. Well to be honest I wasn't sure quite what to expect as a visual spectacle, and I thought I might find the music a little samey. But actually it was quite a delight throughout.  A very attractive light show, an impressive female vocalist and in particular a highly entertaining trio playing electric brass, trombone, trumpet and sax.  What made them entertaining was their movement and general demeanour. They really seemed to be enjoying the performance, and that sort of attitude is infectious.

.
And up on top of his illuminated box was Parov, the brains behind the operation.





















Thibault justly described Mr Stellar with his boyish fringe as looking like a posh boy who had gone on a gap year and never stopped, but suddenly realised he was getting middle-aged




Anyway, as advised by yours truly we slinked off during the encore to go right to the back and out the exit during the encore, so we could just beat the crowds. This ensured that Thibault got the highlight of his evening - pizza at his favourite pizza take away shop on the way home. And I got the exercise from being race walked down the hill by a man who really loves pizza and isn't renowned for his patience. But at least I think his second ever gig was actually a good night. Some Hungarian dessert wine neatly finished off a good evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment