Thursday 1 September 2016

Punting party

Everyone knows it always rains on a Bank Holiday. But somehow not on this one. It was a glorious day. Indeed I had dressed on that assumption and was a little concerned as my train pulled out of Paddington and under a dark cloud that I might have made a mistake. But no, by the time I had got to Oxford it was blue skies and sun.

The excuse for our party was to celebrate the daughter of one of the members of what we describe as the New Year Crowd - a group of ex-Oxford friends who meet together every New Year - having got into Oxford herself. So the plan was various members of the Crowd would bring various picnic items, someone would get in early to nab three punts and we would punt to a good picnic spot, moor the punts and eat drink and be merry. And so it all turned out, although perhaps not entirely to plan.

Firstly the only person who arrived early was yours truly by train. In fact I was sufficiently early at Paddington that I could just catch the train half an hour before my intended one. But by contrast my lift from Oxford station was stuck in motorway traffic, and as I was hauling a cool bag with booze for the party, I got a cab to Cherwell Boathouse. And as there were few punts, I quickly booked and nabbed three of them. It's a feat on one's own to guard three punts at various spots along the river bank. I had a rucksack in one, cool bag in another and set off to throw cushions into each. Indeed as only the tattiest cushions were left, I started accosting those coming in from morning punting sessions to nab their ones before they could return them to the boathouse.




 Just as I was wondering whether I had got the wrong boat house or the wrong day, everyone turned up just 5 minutes before the rendezvous time of 1pm. All was well.

So we divided ourselves up between the punts, putting all the "kids" in the first one. Well I say we put; they chose and set off.




Love this photo. Note, left to right, Peter's icy stare, Kit's manic grin and Kieron's glance of weary contempt



 As I said, really couldn't have had a nicer day for it. This is one of the nicest places in the country to be on a sunny day.



 Back in our punt, Tim and I sat back while letting his wife Caroline do all the punting. As any gentleman would.


 The only real feature one passes (ignoring an ugly bridge) is the picturesque, and very busy, Victoria Arms pub. Many choose to get there by punt and have a pint or two. Punting is thirsty work.




 


It took us a while before we found anywhere to shore up. However a keen eye spotted a little path on the bank.We drew up and spotted a perfect picnic site in a little glade. With more than a little effort we got the punts tied up and wedged in by sticking the poles into the muddy bottom.


 And voila, our picnic party in full. Was very successful - buffet food, salads, (especially partial to a homemade potato salad - yum) cakes baked by Jenny, strawberries and cream and chilled rose (my cooler bag may look naff but it worked). All a middle-class party could ask for. And rounded off by a bottle of prosecco to toast our young heroine (in straw hat below) ensuring a second generation in the Dreaming Spires.

Kit auditioning for a role in psycho horror movie
Getting ourselves back on the river took a bit of effort, and a little more agility than some of us possessed.





Jenna getting in some punting practice before taking up her place in Oxford.


Shortly to be replaced by Kit with his albatross length arms.











And so ended a genuinely lovely day. If only every Bank Holiday was like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment