Monday 19 September 2016

Peter Hook & the Light

So to celebrate my birthday, my fourth gig of the week. This time going with my mate Kieron and his wife to see former New Order guitarist Peter Hook.

This was a long gig, with them playing all of New Order's Substance album as one "half" a brief interval followed by much of Joy Division's output, culminating inevitably in "Love Will Tear Us Apart", which is almost Indie's version of the National Anthem and Jerusalem combined.

The music was of course great, but two features one couldn't help noting - firstly that Hooky really does struggle with vocals, often becoming inaudible, and secondly such a long set is a lot for a man of his advancing years. You could see him blowing heavily as the stet went on. The band helped a lot .though to get him through. And as I say, the music is great. A celebration indeed. And while a lot of the audience were my age or Kieron's (so a bit younger than me), there were also quite a few who were teens. The music carries on, standing the test of time.










No comments:

Post a Comment