Monday 15 August 2016

Rembrandt's House

From the station, where I left my boat trip, Rembrandt's House Museum is the other side of the red light district. So I made my way through it. Possibly the wold's prettiest red light district since it surrounds the Old Cathedral, which sits photogenically by the canal.











 This area also contains the Neumarket, which was duly filled with a market. The old weighing station sits behind it. The market was a bit disappointing - tourist tat and the sort of antique stalls that are more flea market, ie junk rather than antiquities. To compound matters I was on the receiving end of a sharp shower. (Well, I say I was, to be fair so were a lot of other folk. Mustn't be too egocentric..)




 But eventually to the Museum. Its not very large, but it is very informative. This is where the great man lived and the Museum gives a very good idea of what life was like, both for a wealthy person in 17th century Holland and in particular for an artist with a busy studio. For this was both home and workplace, not only for Rembrandt but also his pupils. Training young artists was a lucrative part of his business. And he had many successful pupils. It was also his shop.














If you are wondering about this, well so was I. Its a modern art project based on Rembrandt paintings.
 My favourite of all the Rembrandt works in the Museum is probably the smallest. This little self-portrait is not much bigger than a postage stamp. But I just love the look on his face, drawn in such fine detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment