Saturday 13 August 2016

Amsterdam by ferry

I had decided to take a week's holiday in Amsterdam. Unusual in a number of ways - I don't think many people would see Amsterdam as a summer holiday destination, at least not unless it was  stag do or for sex or drugs. And rather than fly I decided to take the train from work (well the evening train out of Liverpool Street) up to Harwich followed by Stena's overnight ferry to the Hook of Holland. God those ferries are enormous.


Having lugged my case up to deck 10 I found my very pleasant cabin and settled down for the night. 10pm sailing with a 6:30 wake up cal at the other end. You get no choice in this, just a blast of "Be Happy" first thing. Which of course you are not as you have just been woken up at 6:30 for Christ's sake.


First sight of Holland

Now what Stena aren't very good at from their website, despite allowing you to book combined rail and ferry ticket, is to actually say how you get to Amsterdam. The train station at Hook of Holland is easy to find, but there are no direct trains. You have to work out that you need to change. But anyway, I got into Amsterdam about 10am and wheeled my bag round to my apartment on the Kaizersgracht. Basically I had booked a basement flat in a rather grand old building on the Emperor's canal.

I was very pleased with it. Essentially its a one bedroom flat with combined lounge/kichen/diner. All very tastefully put together.






As you can see from photo left below, a rather nice canal house, although as evident from the right I was in the cheaper flat they had hollowed out of the basement - so no canal view.


Which was a pity in a way as its a nice canal.



However, for my last night I moved up into the more expensive flat above (which would otherwise have been empty for a night). Have to say the bloke who looked after the place on behalf of the owner was immensely helpful. And like everyone else in Holland spoke excellent English.

Decor very carefully designed to be 18th century with modern chic twist - especially the kitchen end. Which was extremely well=equipped in terms of both spices and utensils.







And with the upgrade came a view.








 And the rear garden has another house behind




The general surroundings were very nice, everything one could hope for really.











Anyway, settled in, dumped my stuff and headed out for a day's sightseeing, fortified with a pastry from a lovely bakers just a few yards from the flat.....

No comments:

Post a Comment